she's prone to mood swings
August's endless cold rain
U-turned to today's sunshine, T-shirts.
droves of red-faced bare-legged joggers flocked the parks like migrating birds
the university campus a green smoothie poured out into the mossy cup of an Indian summer.
the early dark
the scattered leaves beginning to edge the sidewalks like withered goji berries
the whispered promise of snow.
in a kitchen warmed by the heat of the oven, break bread
or muffins, baked with sweet potatoes
The orange heart of each muffin steaming as it's cracked open
Spice warming the pit of the belly
Which is more nourishing?
the food itself
or hearing Roland say it's the best muffin I've ever eaten.
The sweetness of whole cane sugar
The sweetness of words.
SWEET POTATO MUFFINS
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
1 cup spelt flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sucanat
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp egg replacer dissolved in 4 tbsp water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tbsp grated orange rind
3/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup sucanat
1/3 cup chopped pecans
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
4 tsp vegan butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 365°C (190°F). Boil the sweet potato for about 15 minutes, or until soft.
2. In a large bowl, sift flours, sucanat, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. In a smaller bowl, mash sweet potato until smooth. Whisk in egg replacer, oil, orange rind and orange juice. Pour over flour mixture and stir until just combined.
4. Scoop batter into lined or lightly greased muffin cups. Mix topping ingredients in a separate bowl and pour over muffins.
5. Bake for about 30 mins, or until a cake tester comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes, transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Makes 6 large / 12 small muffins.